Thursday, March 11, 2010

Meagan Fredette


Meagan is a 24 years young photographer. She seems to have thing for Star Wars (who doesn’t anymore? It’s awesome!)

Tell me a little about yourself and where you live.
My name is Meagan. I live in Chicago. I’m 24, I work in human resources and I go to college at the University of Illinois. I want to become a doctor. I’m a fashion and erotica photographer. I’m into feminism and exploring social cultural inequalities, and I write about how this relates to fashion in my blog.

What does fashion mean to you?
Fashion, for me, is a way to express myself. I like adorning myself in ways that I feel express my personal aesthetic and creative interests. I wear a lot of black, with some white and neutral colors. I’m a bit of a Goth. No shame! I also like ridiculous shoes.

How would you define your city's fashion?
Chicago’s winters last about 5 months, so we dress for the weather here. Chicago is a huge city but it's still the Midwest, so fashion here is more about practicality. There are a few great local boutiques that carry some great designers but it is nothing like New York. Part of the reason I started my blog was to show how I layer up and stay warm through Chicago’s tough winters.

What can’t you live without?
A really awesome pair of eyeglasses. No contacts for me!

What are your favorite shops and designers?

I love Bonnie and Clyde's in Chicago; they carry great stuff for those of us with a dark aesthetic. The Nordstrom rack store is a godsend! I bought a 2009 Chanel coat there for a price so low I won't even say it publicly. My favorite designers are Gareth Pugh, Nicholas Kirkwood, Raf Simons, Ann Demuelemeester, Rick Owens, Proenza, Chanel, Maison Martin Margiela, Alexander McQueen (RIP), and Rodarte.

What is your favorite era of style?
The Victorian era. I have a huge fascination with Victorian fashion and costumes. Most notably, the way that their clothing reflected their values...i.e., repressing women socially and physically under severely restricting garments. Plus, I love the dark colors, velvet, and highly detailed tailoring.

What’s on your playlist?
Goth music like Zola Jesus, Cocteau Twins, Elysian Fields, and A Place to Bury Strangers.

Who's style do you admire?
I really like Zana from garbagedress.com for her use of silhouettes and creative ways to wear black. I LOVE the trashicist, I wish I could have her wardrobe! I also like Tavi, she is just adorable and her writing style is creative and fresh.

What is your most cherished item?
My Alexander McQueen skull scarf. It’s precious to me.

Tricia Gosingtian wants to know: If you had to raid someone’s closet, whose would it be?
I would raid the trashicist's closet...her two-toned Gareth Pugh wedges make me weak at the knees!

What would question should I ask the next interviewer?
How do you feel about following trends and seasons?

To see more of Meagan Fredette go to
http://lookbook.nu/user/9632-Meagan-F?category=fashion

2 comments:

  1. love it! http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I don't know if you'll even see this comment because I don't think you use this blog anymore, but if you do see this, can you please delete my interview? (Mine is Samantha Liu). Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete